Saturday 27 July 2013

Tom's Kitchen - Somerset house London

I love visiting London, I was born here but have lived in Liverpool my entire life so visiting London always feel special and for a foodie it's heaven on earth. My reason for visiting this weekend was to see Goldfrapp in concert, the destination Somerset house. But whilst we're here we got to eat and drink, right ? 

This trip we decided not to do our usual ritual of bagging every meal at Michelin starred restaurants and being restricted to dining at the only available times they had on offer, to the more casual approach of walking in off the street, places like Bone daddies, Ramen bar or to do the burger scene at much talked about places like Shake Shack, Five guys, patty and Bun or MEATLiquor. 

That said we did have to make two reservations. Readers of my blog will know I have a love of eating & drinking high in the sky. Duck and waffle (being the highest) was not a place we felt we could just turn up at and get lucky but more of that in another post.

Our only other reservation was made at Tom's Kitchen a chef (Tom Aikens ) who's style of cooking I love, British comfort food with French influences. Tom's first restaurant in Chelsea (Tom Aikens) achieved Michelin star status. He then opened the first of his brasserie style restaurants again based in Chelsea and more recently the second Tom's Kitchen at Somerset house, the very same place we were going to see Goldfrapp so I wasted no time securing a table.  

To find the restaurant you have to walk through the courtyard of Somerset house. We arrived straight into the bar area were we were promptly asked if we would like a drink. We declined at this point but thought it very attentive as it was a hot hot day . The Dining area is split into three rooms , we were walked through two of them to the final one nearest the kitchen and seated in the middle of the room which at first felt awkward as it's slightly raised up from the lower more comfortable looking banquets, these however were reserved for four diners. 

As we were eating early 3.30 we were given the Brunch menu. You can view this HERE.
Then promptly offered the cocktail list. Tom's Kitchen had cleverly put together a cocktail list named after all the bands playing the Somerset house summer series. I naturally chose Goldfrapp~ Black Cherry 
I would not normally chose a Bourbon based drink, but it was a fitting tribute to our visit. And ordering out of my comfort zone paid off. My partner however chose Band of Horse sticking with her beloved Gin ( Traitor ) 


 


For starter I went for Risotto of the day which was Lemon and herb. This was absolutely Divine, creamy, silky, lemony, with big shavings of Parmesan, wasn't to sure what herbs were used but I think I detected Tarragon as there seemed a hint of anise. 


My partner chose the Cesar salad and loved it. 


For mains we both chose pork belly with braised endive and pearl-barley risotto 
We both loved the pork belly, meltingly tender, the crispy crackling was so thin and crispy you could eat it like a big porky crisp. We both disliked the braised endive it was far to bitter but endives are bitter so that's not a criticism just personal taste. The only thing I would change about this dish was the sauce surrounding the risotto, it was too sweet for my taste I would have much preferred it to be rich and savoury.

I couldn't finish this dish, stupidly I thought the the pearl barley risotto accompanying this dish would be a small portion as the pork belly was the main ingredient. But there was a healthy portion of it.
I wrongly ordered.  Two Risottos, who does that ? That said this was my first taste of a risotto not made with rice and it was fantastic.


We were both too full for desert which was a shame as I would have liked to sample the full hit at Tom's Kitchen but we left very full and happy.
Good food, good drinks and Music a pretty perfect day in my book ;0) 

Stay Connected With Free Updates!

To get every new Eat Slurp Burp post delivered to your inbox

No comments:

Post a Comment